Through Start, Children & the Arts annually supports between 8 to 10 arts venues across the UK to create strong, long-term partnerships with local schools in deprived areas.
There are over 25,000 state schools in the UK, many of which do not have the funding to open their students’ eyes to creative experiences outside of the school environment. Start is an arts engagement programme providing the support, infrastructure and ideas for arts venues to connect with local schools who aren’t already engaging their pupils in creative experiences outside of school.
- Introduces young people to the arts;
- Inspires them to learn more;
- Enhances their experiences through critical analysis and participation; and
- Encourages them to Create their own art.
By becoming a Start arts partner you will:
- receive the funding to enable you to introduce local schools to your venue, assisting with the costs of tickets, transport, workshop leaders, teacher training, etc
- be able to implement a tried and tested arts engagement model for working with hard to reach schools in your local area
- gain from the support of a team with the knowledge and experience of introducing Start into arts venues
- become part of a UK-wide network of arts venues, allowing for ideas sharing
- develop professionally and have the security to plan your educational work with confidence, building lasting relationships with local schools
- benefit from the annual evaluation of Start across the UK.
Start partners are selected annually via a two stage application process.
Please note that the Start programme is currently closed to new applications.
We are currently reviewing the application process for Start, and will be announcing further information in due course. Please check back for up to date information and details of how to apply, later in the year.